Need some clever comebacks for when someone calls you broke? No matter how much money you have, somebody is always going to call you “broke.”
It’s pathetic, and anyone who says something so stupid and low should be ignored and given no further comment or time for being such a jerk.
But don’t worry, we’ve got the perfect responses to show them who’s really the boss.
Get free access to the Self Improvement Workbook:
Check out these good comebacks when someone says you’re poor!
Table of Contents
Comebacks When Someone Calls you Poor or Broke
We all know that feeling.
You’re at a party or out to dinner with friends, and someone makes a rude comment about your financial situation. It can be hurtful and humiliating but don’t worry, there are comebacks for that!
If you’ve ever said that you’re broke or poor, have one of these responses ready.
They’re witty, straightforward, effective, and will leave the person speechless.
What should you say when someone says, “You’re poor”, “Poor” or “You’re broke”:
- At least I can afford some manners.
- Yeah cool, I’m poor, and now what?
- At least I don’t make my money from OnlyFans.
- I guess I’ll have to work extra hard on your mom.
- And you are ugly, but I can make money.
- And you’re a jerk. I’d rather be poor.
- Yet, I still get laid more often than you, and I don’t have to pay for it!
- Who says I’m poor? Maybe I just spend my money on better things than AirPods.
- I may be poor but at least I am not cheap like you.
- So? Could be worse. I could be like you, where my only value is how much is in my wallet.
- It’s because your mom’s prices have increased.
- That’s why your mom always pays for dinner when we go out.
- I may be poor, but you’re stupid, and there’s a chance I could make money.
- Yeah, at least people like me.
- I may not have a lot of money, but I have a lot of friends.
- Don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine.
But the truth is that if someone is picking on you because of money, they are the loser, not you. You’d be doing yourself a favor by simply not associating with whoever that is.
These kinds of comments are not only insensitive; they also reveal that this person is probably very self-absorbed and has no regard for the situation of others, as well as no empathy for your situation.
What to say when someone calls you broke
There’s nothing wrong with being broke. In fact, it’s perfectly normal – especially if you’re a student or recent graduate.
However, when someone calls you broke, it can be hurtful and embarrassing. If you’re ever in this situation, here are some things you can say:
- “I’m not broke, I’m just saving my money.”
- “I’m not broke, I’m just on a tight budget.”
- “I’m not broke, I’m just being responsible with my money.”
- “I’m not broke, I’m just being smart with my money.”
By asserting that you’re not actually broke, you’ll help to diffuse the situation and take the power away from the person who called you that.
Remember, there’s nothing wrong with being broke – it’s just a temporary state that everyone goes through at some point in their life.
You might find it interesting: 24+ Clean Comebacks for When Someone Tells You to “Get a Life”
As you can see, there are many different responses to being called “broke,” and “poor”.
You can avoid making a scene by using one of the comebacks on our list to silence the person who asked.
Use one of these clever comebacks to put someone in their place when they say to you “You’re broke/poor.”