What to Say When Someone Calls you Rude or Mean? (25 Things!)
Have you ever been called rude? It’s not a pleasant feeling, is it?
Maybe you were speaking your mind and someone didn’t like what you had to say.
Or maybe you were raised with different manners than the person you’re interacting with and they’re mistaking your politeness for rudeness.
Either way, it’s important to know how to respond when someone calls you rude.
As an affiliate partner of various brands and sponsored content, this site may earn commission on qualifying purchases. Disclaimer | Advertise With Us
There’s nothing worse than someone calling you rude when you know you’re not. But don’t worry, we’ve got your back with some great comebacks to shut them down.
So next time someone tries to put you in your place, just use one of our clever responses and show them who’s boss.
Read on for some tips.
What to Say When Someone Calls You Rude or Mean
If someone calls you rude, the best response might be to simply call them out on their own rudeness. In what world is it polite to attack someone’s character without any evidence or explanation?
Rather than stoop to their level and engage in a name-calling match, calmly point out the hypocrisy of their comment and let that speak for itself.
Alternatively, humor can also be a great defuser in this situation.
Though it may not address the underlying issue, deflecting with a quick comeback can take away some of the intended sting and show that their insult doesn’t affect you.
Just make sure to keep it lighthearted rather than retaliatory.
Contrary to popular belief, being called rude does not make someone rude.
In fact, it usually means that the person questioning your behavior is insecure and feels threatened by your assertiveness or confidence.
With that said, here are some good comebacks when someone calls you rude:
- I may be rude, but at least I’m not pretending to be something I’m not.
- You’re just mad because I’m not afraid to speak my mind.
- I’ll try to be nicer next time if you can try being less of an idiot.
- I’m sorry, I don’t know how to talk to stupid people.
- It’s not my fault that your intelligence is insulting.
- Thanks for the compliment! I think.
- It’s not my fault you can’t take a little criticism.
- It’s not my fault, you’re just really ugly.
- I’m not rude. I just speak what everyone else is thinking.
- I’m sorry if my presence is too much for you.
- Look who’s talking.
- It’s not nice to call people names. Next time, try being a little more polite.
- Ouch! That hurt as much as seeing your face.
- Thank you for the compliment! I try my best to be as honest as possible.
- Aww, thank you! I appreciate that.
It’s important to remember that being labeled as “rude” can be a way for others to undermine your behavior and invalidate your feelings.
So don’t let their words affect you – stay true to yourself and continue standing up for what’s right. After all, sometimes being called “rude” is just a badge of honor.
You might like: Top 30 Rudest Comebacks to Win Every Argument!
What do you say to make someone speechless?
Let’s face it, situations arise where we must defend ourselves and respond with clever comebacks. But finding the right words to leave someone speechless can be a challenge.
When trying to leave someone speechless, exactly what you say will depend on the situation and the person in question.
However, one approach could be to use surprise or shock. A bold statement or unexpected twist can often leave someone momentarily unable to come up with a response.
Here are some things to say to make someone speechless:
- You clearly have no idea what you’re talking about.
- You are much worse than people say you are.
- Your birth certificate is an apology letter from the condom factory.
- You’re the reason God created the middle finger.
- You’re not pretty enough to be this stupid.
- You’re like a broken condom: useless and full of holes.
- If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I’d fart.
- Don’t feel bad, there are plenty of other things wrong with you that we’re not getting into right now.
- Your a** must be envious of all the sh*t that comes out of your mouth.
- You have your entire life to be a jerk. Why not take today off?
Next time someone comes at you with an insult, try out one of these comebacks to leave them speechless.
On the other hand, making a profound statement or asking a thought-provoking question can also render someone speechless as they process the depth of your words.
It’s important to use caution with this tactic, though, as saying something overly mean or insulting can have negative consequences.
In any case, leaving someone speechless can be a powerful way to make an impact and grab their attention.
Whether funny or serious in nature, carefully chosen words can leave a lasting impression and elicit a strong reaction from the listener.
You might find it interesting: 22+ of the Wittiest Comebacks for Rude People
Dealing with someone who calls you rude can be difficult, but it’s important to remember that getting defensive will only make the situation worse.
Try staying calm, seeing things from the other person’s perspective, choosing your words carefully, and walking away if necessary.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to defuse the situation and hopefully come to a resolution.