Anybody who’s ever been in a fight knows that some of the worst things you can say to an opponent are “go to hell.”
It’s the verbal equivalent of a middle finger, and it communicates a total lack of respect.
There are few things in life more satisfying than coming up with the perfect “go to hell” reply.
Get free access to the Self Improvement Workbook:
Whether you’re faced with a friend who’s come out of nowhere with a brutal insult or dealing with a rude stranger, these comebacks will help you put them in their place.
So the next time someone tells you to go to hell, don’t worry – you’ll be prepared.
Table of Contents
What does it mean when someone tells you to go to hell?
There are a few different interpretations of what it means when someone tells you to go to hell.
The most common is that the person is simply expressing their anger or frustration, and they don’t actually want you to go to the Christian afterlife. (Or do they?)
Another interpretation is that the person is telling you that they never want to see you again.
This could be because they are angry with you, or because they think that you are a bad influence on their life.
This is usually said in the heat of the moment and doesn’t necessarily reflect the speaker’s true feelings.
Regardless of the intention behind it, telling someone to go to hell is generally considered to be a very offensive thing to say.
You might find it interesting: 15+ Good Comebacks when Someone Swears at You!
Comebacks when someone says go to hell
There are many ways to respond when someone tells you to go to hell. Depending on the situation, you might want to be funny, sarcastic, or even serious.
Whatever you do, make sure you don’t stoop to their level by telling them to go to hell as well. That’s just giving them what they want.
Here are comebacks for when someone tells you to go to hell that will hopefully help you defuse the situation and come out on top.
- I’m pretty sure I’ve been there before. It’s not really my thing.
- Why? Is that where you’re going?
- I heard it’s pretty crowded down there. I don’t think I’d like it.
- I already have a reservation.
- Thanks for the offer, but I’d rather not spend eternity with you.
- Umm…no thanks. I’ll pass.
- Why hell? I’d like to go somewhere else where you won’t be.
- I’ll see you there.
- I hear it’s lovely this time of year.
- Ha-ha yeah, f*ck you too buddy.
- Thanks for the offer, but I have a strict no-hell policy.
- I’ll be sure to send you a postcard.
- Thanks, but I’m already planning my next vacation.
- Don’t worry, I’ll be joining you soon enough.
- Thanks for the invite!
- I’m pretty sure I left my keys there.
- Do you have a reservation? I’d like to book one too.
- I don’t think that would be much fun for either of us.
Whatever comeback you choose, delivering it with a smile is sure to take the wind out of your opponent’s sails.
So, the next time someone tells you to go to hell, don’t get angry; instead, give them a taste of their own medicine by giving them a savage reply to go to hell.
You might like: 12+ Effective Comebacks when Someone Says “Excuse me”
There’s nothing quite like the feeling of being told to go to hell. It’s a timeless insult that can sting regardless of who says it.
But if you’re the type of person who enjoys a good comeback, then you know that there’s nothing better than responding with wit and humor.
So next time someone tells you to go to hell, try one of the above comebacks.